Thursday, February 19, 2009

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.....

Today the trucks came through the neighborhood (accompanied by little rolling-tread-claw-grabber-vehicles) to collect the branches from the storm. Luckily I finished dragging them from the back yard yesterday, and had lined them in TWO ROWS, one on each side of the sidewalk (I thought it was better to make two rows each two to three feet tall, rather than one row six feet tall.....not to mention it allows us to see when we back out of the driveway, and thus avoid a totalled car like what happened to Laura's Jeep in 2003).

Okay, enough background. So the truck rolls down the street, and stops in front of our house, and they start with the row of branches closest to the street. Once they get this cleaned up, they get in the truck.......and move off down the street. They totally left the second row of branches laying in my yard. Now I'll switch from narration mode to dialogue mode:

I put on my coat and walk down the street(3 houses) to meet the crew, and locate the head guy.

Pete: If I move the rest of the branches up to the street will you come pick them up?
Municipal worker: Nope. We're not supposed to back up, just keep moving forward.
Pete: If you don't come get them, someone else will have to come back. I'm moving them.

I walk away, back to the house, and start moving the branches. The head guy comes down the street.

Municipal worker: I called another truck to come by and get them.
Pete: When will that happen.
Municipal worker (shrugs): Maybe today.....maybe next week.
Pete: I thought I was doing a nice thing by not making a huge pile...I guess not.
Municipal worker: Well, someone'll be by to get them. (He walks away.)

I finish moving the branches and go into the house. Grab twenty dollars. Walk back down the street (now 5 houses away) and meets the head guy again:

Pete: Here you go.
Municipal Worker: What's this?
Pete: Twenty bucks. Come and get my branches.
Municipal Worker: We're not allowed to go back.
Pete: Fine. You just took my twenty bucks. (I walk away immediately)
Assistant Municipal Worker: We'll get'em for twenty bucks.
Head Municipal Worker: He has to wait for the other truck. (I keep walking)

I'm halfway home when the rolling-grabber-vehicle throws it in reverse and starts coming my way. By the time I hit the front door, the dump truck is also in reverse, and coming back up the street. I wave and say thank you. They take may branches. I hope the head guy shared the cash.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

now that's my kind of blog from you!!! I can totally see this happening.. awesome!!! - oh and btw - Jacob made a blog just for you - the least you could do is comment on it :) - if no comment from Uncle Queep - then we may wait a month before we post again - but if you send me $20, maybe we can work something out :)

Pocket said...

Pete-ums (I deciced on a new spelling), you slimy dog, you! Let's see...what would I do for twenty bucks...the possibilites are endless....