Sunday, February 22, 2009

Training update

The half marathon training is rocking along, I suppose. All 4 workouts this week were on the treadmill, which is really boring but when it comes to the 4 days I ran this week, two were at night after long work days, and two were on days when it was in the 20's, so I don't feel too bad about it.

For anyone wondering what happened to the pace per mile on Wednesday: This was the day I decided to put in a little work for the hill climb I want to do this summer (I crank up the treadmill gradually to 15% and then see how long I can keep it there....even if I have to slow down). This week I managed to keep it there for just a couple of minutes.....because the treadmill decided to burn out on me. I really like one of the types of treadmills we have at the Y, but they do overheat from time to time. I've learned (a while ago) that they don't do very well if you want to crank it over 10 MPH, and I've learned more recently that inclines of 14 to 15% will stall the think out pretty quickly too.

Oh well.

It's supposed to warm up here mid-week and I just broke in a new pair of 769's on my 8 miler tonight, so I'll probably try and get back to increasing my long run sometime soon. I think I'm really just going to train like it's a full marathon ( see if I can work my long run up over 20 miles) and see if that helps drop my half marathon time down where I want it. To those familiar with the concept of "race weight," I'm admittedly a couple of pounds over. Laura doesn't like when I talk about it, but she's agreed that I am "allowed" to weigh the weight I'm shooting for (160). Today's morning weight was 170.6, and post-run weight of 166.0 (of course, then I came home and drank some water and ate half a pizza). It is, after all, a process.

I'm not allowed to approach my 2005 post-Columbus marathon weight of 148. The first thing Laura said to me after my very first marathon was "if I ever have to identify your body....I'll know what you'll look like". I don't remember what I said in response, but I imagine it was something to the extent of "I love you too".

That's enough bleeble blurble from me for one night.

No comments: